Minecraft China Edition, developed by Mojang Studios and NetEase, is a localized version of the Java and Bedrock editions, specifically tailored for mainland China. As of October 2022, it boasts a player base of 600 million.
Key Features and Restrictions
- Accessibility: It is free to download and play, but requires a Chinese citizen ID.
- Localization: The interface is exclusively in Simplified Chinese and cannot be changed.
- Security Measures: The game rigorously verifies copies to restrict access to foreign users.
- Cloud Storage: Available in the Java Edition only.
- Communication: Features a friends system with live text chat support. However, all in-game text content, including chats and names, undergoes strict censorship.
- Server Rental and Management: Integrated into the launcher, this feature serves as an alternative to the Realms service, with specific restrictions in the Bedrock Edition.
- Online Game Server: Offers a separate server type with full ownership permissions and an in-server shop.
- VIP Membership Center: Provides monthly memberships with discounts on seasonal merchandise.
- Patch System: An alternative to the Marketplace service, offering community-contributed and official patches.
- Game Modes: Includes unique modes like “Chaos/Apocalyptic Game mode” and “Three Kingdoms: Chibi Game mode”, adding new elements to the game.
- Interface Adjustments: Custom interfaces for advanced features and different platforms (Windows and Mobile) with specific sections like Game Center, Patch Center, and Resource Center.
Unique Characteristics in China Edition
- No achievements in the Bedrock Edition.
- Virtual joystick support and a new UI in the Bedrock Edition.
- “The Shopkeeper’s Gifts”: An ad-based reward system in the Bedrock Edition.
- NPC functionality: Limited but customizable in the Bedrock Edition.
Comparison with Java and Bedrock Editions
- Pricing: The China Edition is free, unlike the Java and Bedrock editions which are paid.
- Account and Launching: Requires a NetEase account and is launched in the launcher.
- World and Data Settings: Managed through the launcher as opposed to in-game settings in other editions.
- Mods: The China Edition comes with pre-installed mods like anti-addiction Mod, Filter Mod, and more.
The game is compatible with various devices across Windows, Android, iOS & iPadOS, and macOS platforms, each having specific minimum requirements for resolution, CPU, GPU, RAM, and storage. Notably, it supports a range of devices from Pixel phones to MacBooks with M1 chips.
This tailored version of Minecraft for China showcases a unique blend of cultural adaptation, regulatory compliance, and innovative features, distinguishing it from its global counterparts.